Pages

Wednesday 7 September 2011

Videogames and Education (III part)

This is the third and the last part of the series "Videogames and Education". I just wanted to finish by saying why it is important to use video games at the school, and why it can help teachers to get high skills in the students.
  1. Solving Problems: Every strategy game needs to have a plan, but sometimes, you need to take quick decisions. It is really important to know which is the best strategy, in order to attack and conquer more lands. But not just problems related with the game, but also with the computer itself(connection, wires, programs, etc.)
  2. Taking Decisions: I need to use my logical-mathematical thought to choose which is the best option and continue playing without losing.
  3. Investigation: Strategy games are full of menus, information, choices to take, and you have to investigate among them which is the best option.The game I like (Age of Empires II) has different civilizations to choose, and every one of them has its own characteristics. After playing with the game, you are able to find the civilization of your like. There is also an option to create your own scenario, which gives you the chance to investigate more.
  4. Explore: The game has different maps, and most of them are  unexplored. Apart from the menus, you can explore and compare different civilizations too.
  5. Quick thinking: If I am being attacked, what do I do? I send archers, or I sent the cavalry? Sometimes I am even attacked by two civilizations. then I have to think fast.
  6. Perseverance: This games are long, and it takes long to finish just one level. So I need to have patience and the ability to overcome frustration.
  7. Searching and using information: Not just on the game, but I can also try to find information on social networks on internet.
  8. Creativity: If I cannot go directly against the enemy, then I can try to invent a new way to go against them and win. If my students have this ability, then in the future, they will have great chances to adjust themselves when new obstacles are coming in their ways.
  9. Communicating and socializing: With this game, I have the chance to play with more people of different places at the same time (multiplayer option), and interact with them, which is excellent for teachers of English as a way to practice chatting.
  10. Multimedia: I use technology, the use of computer, internet to interact with others when I am playing.
  11. Team work: I can learn from other players, or from forums related with the game. I can even play in teams against other teams.
  12. Content related with my subject: I can use vocabulary, sentences, ideas, opinions, among other contents that are related with my area of study.
  13. Levels of complexity: I start with easy levels, while I am learning how to play and how to use the different items or menus. And as I play more, levels tend to be harder, which gives me the feeling that I am able to face harder obstacles.
There can be more skills that students will enhance or even discover in themselves. So you can be sure that everytime you talk about videogames, it is not just a funny time that you will spend, but also, a good way to improve some of your students' skills. And if you remember, that I have already mentioned  that students can spend hours and hours playing in front of the computers, without getting bored, and really enjoying, then it means that if you use videogames to promote the adquisition of these kind of high skills, then there are big chances that it will be an excellent tool to use it at the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...